Tuesday 7 August 2012

First Day at the Hospital

Day 1: Monday 8/6

The first day at the hospital was more than I could have ever expected. We arrived at Costal Province Hospital around 8:30am and sat in a small, hot room for almost two hours. The processing took a lot longer than expected. Finally we were able to break off into our groups of 4 and go to a specific area of the hospital. Trisha, Megan, Keisha and I chose the Maternity Ward first. Once we got to the wing we were introduced to an intern doctor who showed us around. The main floor is labor and delivery and upstairs is a minor theater specifically for c-sections. They allow two people in the minor theater at a time and you are required to have an extra set of scrubs with you to enter. Trisha and I jumped at the opportunity and ran back downstairs to get our extra clothes. You also have to take your shoes off to enter this part of the hospital which is weird. Yes, it's for sterilization but they walk out of the operating room with bloody boots on and track it around the halls. So obviously it makes perfect sense to take your shoes off before entering. We were kind of freaked out thinking they were going to make us wear no shoes or sandals, but they gave us rubber boots in the end. The ward is called the Millennium Ward because the Japanese government funded the construction of it back in 2000. It is actually kind of big but they only use about half of it because they are so under staffed. Instead of using the section for patient rooms they just place the women on gurneys in front of the window of the hallway so they can keep an eye on them.

Trisha and I first arrived they said there was a woman going in for an emergency c-section. Emergency in their culture is very different from what we consider an emergency in America. These women can end up waiting for hours to have procedures done. Most go in with fetal distress due to having to wait so long. When we finally were able to go into the operating room, we could see the woman was in severe pain. The anesthesiologist put her fully under which was odd to us since they don't do that in the US. We were given a mask and a hairnet and just stood where ever there was room. Niether of us had ever seen this procedure before, so what we saw could be completely different from the States. This patient had a c-section done before so they made an incision below and above her previous scar. The rest was very gruesome! Ripping and pulling at flesh to get to the uterus, I really wish I had pictures... maybe next time. At one point I got really hot in the "air conditioned" room so I stepped out for about 10 minutes. Eventually they got to the baby who came out slimy and not crying. So the doctor picked her up by both feet and slapped her on the back a couple times holding her over the disgusting floor! I was so afraid he was going to accidently drop her. She cried and as far as I know both mom and baby are doing fine.

 Maternity
 Medical supply tray in Labor and Delivery. Behind that curtain is a patient room.
Trisha, Angie, and I in a tuktuk on the way back from the hospital.

Trisha and I went back downstairs to see how Megan and Keisha were doing It had been unusually slow all day, but a new patient had been brought in and was about to be examined. We followed the doctor in and he began the exam. A dark green fluid came out indicating meconium, which is when a baby has a bowel movement before birth The woman was then taken upstairs to minor theater for a c-section. Trisha and I changed scrubs again and went back upstairs, Megan was allowed to come this time soon since Keisha had already left for the day. Once in the OR the nurse asked us which one of us was going to scrub in. We looked at each other very confused. I looked at the doctor and said I had just seen my first procedure an hour ago and I had no idea how the heck to do surgery. He was like "its ok I teach you." So I said what the hell ok I have to learn somehow. So he taught me how to scrub in African style and we went in. He kept warning me to stay away from the semiconscious woman in pain. This time the reason was because I had already been through a sterile procedure and she could contaminate me. Before though, in the labor and delivery ward women would reach out for you to hold their hand because they are scared, in pain, and going through this alone. Trisha held a woman's hand and the intern said, "That is rare. We don't usually allow that, it makes them weak." It was unbelievably frustrating to hear that. Back to the story, he made the incision and I helped him tear away the rectus sheath, subcutaneous layer, etc. It was actually better doing it than watching it. We finally came to the uterus and made the cut, He then reached in, grabbed the baby's head, pulling it out. I removed the amniotic sac off of his face as the doctor kept pulling. Once he was out we immediately unwrapped the cord from his neck and cut the umbilical cord. It was the same scene as last time, I cringed at the sight if the infant hanging upside down over the floor.We never heard him cry as the nurse took him out of the room. I assisted in suturing the patient back up. I probably looked ridiculous, but I learned so much from this experience! The doctor was like, "you are no fun! You did not pass out!" Ohh Africa, you definitely know how to make a bold first impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment